Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Dreams: tailormade lessons from your soul



Hello Darkness my old friend

I have extremely vivid dreams.  Every night. I always have.
This is a recurring nightmare I had for years.



I wake up to a strange noise.  There is a dark figure standing in the frame of the door.  Paralyzed with fear, I struggle futilely to get up.  My body is heavy. I pull at blankets to pull myself out of bed, but I cannot move.  The dark figure breathes. Then, I realize I have had this dream before.  I am not awake. I open my mouth and scream.  I can feel the vibrations deep inside growing until finally the noise comes out and I wake myself up.


Night after night, year after year, the same old story, the same old fear. 


Until one night, instead of struggling to get up, I sink my body down into the mattress.  My legs fly up and I twirl around on the bed.  It is fun, I am laughing! The darkness falls away and I wake up.



A reward for my triumph:  the very next night I dream I wake up.


A tree branch grows out from the wall behind my head.  On it sits a potted plant.  A violet.  From the ceiling extends down a wrapped gift with lots of colorful  curled ribbons. Unfortunately, my instinct over the last five years takes over before I realize that this dream is different.   I scream.  The decorations on the wrapping paper pixelate and start to fall off filling the air with confetti, as I wake up.  My subconscious was celebrating.  She gave me gifts! for finally learning the lesson she so patiently waited for me to learn.



To stop struggling.
To stop railing against that which I cannot change. 

The dark shadow is always there.  I can hear his shallow, panting breath.  I don't have to be afraid anymore. The answers are all inside of me, even in my dreams.




{dreaming with eyes wide open}

No comments:

Post a Comment