Saturday, August 2, 2014

to run or not to run



Something happens when my feet hit the pavement.
…before you guess I am going to speak of the glory of running, let me stop you.


  • I have to go to the bathroom
  • My knee hurts
  • My right hamstring is sore
  • It’s too cold


My sympathetic nervous system kicks in and signals {screaming} my brain to

STOP!
THERE IS NO DANGER!
No need to run.

There are 84,000 other things I could be doing right now and for the entire first mile we are out every single excuse is going to present itself to the forefront of my mind.

I am a 35 year old single woman.
Not only do I want to be physically fit and healthy, but I sit at a desk for eight hours a day five days a week.  After work, I go home and spend another two or three hours behind my laptop doing school work through an online degree program.  My body craves activity.  I need to feel my blood pumping through every capillary, breathe fresh air, exhale the stale indoor office ego cloak, and be earthed.

I am also the mother of two human daughters and one three year old boxer puppy.  They are mentally exhausted from being at school all day, have homework, music lessons, and want to zen out watching YouTube videos, play Minecraft, and watch Dr. Who.  I want them to experience the importance of regular physical exertion.

In our everyday life we practice speaking kindly to each other, and respecting boundaries.  After spending the better part of thirty minutes herding gloves and helmets, cancer baby is wrapped in every imaginable comfort.  The solid stable Capricorn teen is still searching for the dog harness, where does that always go?  We barely make it out the door before dusk has descended.

Nothing tests our pact of loving kindness more than our four entirely different personalities, wants, needs, heading out away from home with the awareness that we will be gone and not able to come home for 

One full hour

It is not only me against that road, but the four of us against ourselves.

This is where Enola’s roots shine.
This is where she feels her own oneness with nature.   
Her pack mentality teaches us to run together, to respect our space, our pace, and each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment